Hey, next time you roll a joint or crush-up some herb, don’t just toss those stems in the trash. Believe it or not, every inch of a pot plant can be put into use. From the bud to the root, cannabis is the most useful plant on earth.
When compared to leaf and buds, stems contain the least amount of cannabinoids. But don’t be mistaken, there is still enough THC to make a concentrate. Here is a simple recipe you can use to make use of your left over stems.
But first a warning / disclaimer:
This article is for entertainment purposes only. Don’t try to do anything outlined here. Also, if marijuana is illegal where you live, so are the stems. In the eyes of the law, every part of the plant, even the roots are controlled.
Use your judgment, we hold no liability or responsibility for your actions.
Make Stem Tea
You can use your stems to make a great tasting Marijuana infused tea. Although it may not be strong enough to give you a “high“, it is a good way to end the day. Stem tea has a very slight calming effect that may or may not be noticeable. But if you enjoy the taste of herb and like drinking tea, you should definitely give this a shoot.
Making tea from cannabis stems is no different from making any other herbal tea.
- Bring a cup of water to a boil, pour it into your cup.
- Fill a tea ball with as much stems as you desire
- Allow it to sit for a few minutes
- Add honey, sugar lemon to taste and enjoy!
Don’t just stop there, just as any tea connoisseur will tell you, make your own blend. For example, try mixing chamomile with your stems to create a tasty and soothing tea. The best part of making your own tea mix, is you know whats in it. Unlike store bought teas that can contain pesticides.
How to Make Green Dragon or Weed Vodka
One of my favorite uses for steams is to make Green Dragon. Green Dragon has been made for thousands of years as a medicine to relive stress, treat pain, arthritis, insomnia and other aliments.
Although, dry crushed herbs will make the best tincture, you can make a stem only version of this popular recipe. Just note that the flavor will be very bitter and astringent compared to the herbal version.
What you need:
- Alcohol – 80 proof and over is recommended, I prefer Everclear. The higher the proof, the more THC and other compounds will be absorbed from the stems
- Stems – The amount of stems you need depends on how much alcohol your going to use. Shoot for a 50/50 ratio of stems to alcohol.
- Glass jar or bottle – Something to hold and store the mix.
- Cheese cloth or coffee filter – for straining out the stems
- Grinder – optional
- Break up or grind the stems as much as you can
- Put the stems into a jar
- Pour in the Vodka or Ever clear. It should be enough to cover the stems by at least an inch over the top
- Store in a cool place for about a month, check and shake periodically
- Using a coffee filter or cheese cloth, strain the stems out and keep the liquid.
At this point the stems contain no medicinal qualities and can be trashed. The liquid on the other hand has absorbed everything from the stems.
Warning! “Everclear is super flammable, so use common sense. Also, this is a tincture, that should be used as medicine. So don’t make drinks or take shots of it, you will get sick”
Making oils and other extracts from stems
Yes you can make canna butter or hash oils from stems, but the yields will suck. Also, if you are planing to make edibles from butter made from stems. Understand the flavor will not be the same.
Buds which have a very high cannabinoid to chlorophyll ratio. Stems are exactly the opposite, which will effect the flavor.
So even though you can make extracts just as you would with the herb, the product will be different. That being said, one of the easiest ways to make hash or oil from stems takes a bit of time.
By following the steps above, make Green Dragon with Ever Clear 150 proof. Once complete pour the liquid into a glass or Pyrex dish and keep it in a well ventilated area. After some time, the alcohol will evaporate and you should be left with a sticky dark green residue. Using a razor blade scrape off and store the oil.
You can speed up the process by placing a fan to blow over it. This will help it evaporate quickly. Over all it may take a few days